We are committed to helping you identify resources to help finance your education.

Cost is an essential consideration when applying to graduate programs. Many University of Chicago students fund their education using scholarships, fellowships, part-time jobs, and student loans.

Applying for Financial Assistance

  • First, complete the Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) (Domestic and Permanent Residents only).

    • Use our Federal school code (001774). While the priority deadline is in May, you should complete this as soon as possible.

    • Within about two weeks, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR).

    • Note: All graduate students are considered independent when determining Federal loan and work-study eligibility. We do not require that you list parental income on the FAFSA.

  • Review your financial aid package on your My.UChicago portal.

    • Accept or decline the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan portion of your financial aid award.

    • The GradPLUS portion of your package (if applicable) shows your eligibility to apply for this loan. If eligible, you can submit an application for the GradPLUS loan online. Once approved, your application will be processed by the Graduate Financial Aid office at the university.

  • Complete the Federal Direct Unsubsidized, Graduate PLUS & Alternative Loan Applications, Promissory Notes and Entrance Counseling.

The UChicago Graduate Financial Aid office outlines the application steps and provides other resources about graduate financial aid.

The University's priority deadlines are listed on the Graduate Financial Aid office webpage. If you apply later than the deadlines for your start quarter, you may still be able to receive a loan; however, your loan funds may not be available at the beginning of the quarter. The UChicago Graduate Financial Aid office can provide you with more details about disbursement of loan funds.

Learn more about loans and work-study available to students at Harris.

Scholarships and Fellowships

If you have received a Harris scholarship or fellowship, you would have received a notification as part of your acceptance package. Students who are selected to receive a scholarship receive both an admission letter and an award letter.

If you have any questions about your scholarship or fellowship offer, please contact harrisadmissions@uchicago.edu.

Other Options for Financing Your Education

Alternative Loans

Alternative (Private) Loans are also available for domestic and international students from most countries. Approval for an Alternative Loan is contingent upon your credit rating.

Other Employment

Third-Party Funding

Many students also receive scholarships and aid from third-party funding resources. Numerous philanthropic foundations, scholarship organizations, and government institutions offer scholarships and other support for students pursuing public policy degrees.

The UChicago GRAD fellowships database is a great resource for identifying scholarships, fellowships, and other sources of financial assistance from outside organizations. In addition, international students can learn about additional funding opportunities from education-related resources available at American consulates in their home countries.

If you receive a scholarship from an entity other than Harris and need your sponsor(s) to be invoiced by the University directly, you might be required to provide a Third Party Contract (TPC).

Paying Your Bill

Learn how and when to pay your bill.

Stay in the know about next steps.
Our Pre-Enrollment Checklist will help keep you organized.