More than two thirds of all master’s students receive funding.

At Harris Public Policy, we recognize the significant investment you will be making in your degree. We are committed to helping you identify financial resources to assist with managing the cost. More than two thirds of all master's degree students receive one of the many scholarships and fellowships that are available to Harris students on a merit basis. All students are considered for these awards upon application and are notified of any awards at the time of acceptance. 

Funding is also available for summer internships and fellowships, which are a valuable part of the Harris experience.

Most international students at Harris depend on scholarships from external organizations and government agencies (third party funding) for coverage of the tuition costs and other fees. Securing such funding require candidates to begin the application procedure well in advance of enrollment. In order to be approved for a student visa, students need to demonstrate availability of funds. Therefore, it is important to research these resources early. The Information Resource Center or Educational Advancement Center of your local American Embassy provide useful information through publications, electronic databases and workshops.

Loans and Work-Study

Federal assistance is available to US students and permanent residents through loans (including Alternative or Private loans) and work-study. Alternative (Private) Loans are available for both domestic and international students from most countries. 

Other Employment

In addition to the Federal Work-Study Program, the Harris Office of Career Services maintains postings for on- and off-campus employment, as does the University's Office of Career Advancement. International students are eligible for many of these positions. The University of Chicago undergraduate College often has a need for experienced tutors in such areas as mathematics, economics, chemistry, and other courses. These are salaried positions and carry no tuition remission. In addition, College Housing has positions for resident heads in the undergraduate residence halls available each year. These positions offer room and board.  

More Information

  • For additional information on loans and work study, contact Graduate Financial Aid at 773.702.6061.
  • UChicagoGRAD Admissions also provides information on funding and aid, including student employment and additional fellowships.